Wednesday, March 06, 2013
Love is your job description

According to the book, love is the primary responsibility in a marriage. In fact, it is the key to every relationship - with your parents, siblings, friends, etc. People enter into a relationship, not just marriage, with hopes to be loved. "But ironically, people rarely take their focus off themselves so they can meet this need in others. Selfishly, we may even overlooked our own spouse." 

After a quarrel or feeling angry with my husband, I would reflect and conclude that I got angry or upset because I see my need of greater importance than his - I want him to articulate clearly so that I will not misunderstand; I want him to let me know in advance so that I will be mentally prepared or not caught off guard, etc. It's all about ME. It is true that when our spouse deserved our love the least, it is also when they need it the most.

"For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another..." - 1 John 3:11. Love is the core of Christianity; it's the reason for Christ's sacrifice. Being a Christian, love should be the motivating force in whatever we do. Of course, we, humans err. We need time to learn and grow. Thankfully, with the grace of God, we will be able to achieve that someday. In the meantime, we should ask the Holy Spirit to guide us to put others before ourselves, be more conscious of our behaviour, and thus, avoid being ugly, and be thankful for the people around us - especially our spouse. 

Lord, teach me to love my husband in a way that meets his needs and honours you. In Jesus' name, amen!

Labels:



On 2:03 pm, Cheryl lays it all at the feet of Jesus.